Free State Provincial Archives Council
In terms of section 6(1) of the Free State Provincial Archives Act, 1999 (Act no. 4 of 1999) the Free State Provincial Archives Council must be appointed by the Member of the Executive Council for Sport, Arts, Culture and Recreation. The aims of the Council are to:
- Advise the Member of the Executive Council on any matter related to the operation of the Act;
- Advise and assist the Provincial Archivist in carrying out the objects and functions of the Provincial Archives;
- Promote the co-ordination of archival policy formulation and planning at provincial level;
- Approve the appraisal policy of the Provincial Archives and monitor its implementation; and
- Maintain a provincial list of non-public records in the Province which, in the opinion of the Council, have enduring value.