The aim of the budget vote of the Department is to manage and promote sport and recreation development; arts and culture; and to render library, information and archive services in the Province.
The strategic goal of the Department is; “The promotion, development and transformation of sport, arts, culture and recreation in order to contribute to:
- sustainable economic growth and opportunities;
- nation building;
- good governance; and
- social and human capital development.”
The budget vote of the Department comprises of four main programmes.
Programme 1: Administration
To render management and administrative support services
- To render human resource management services.
- To render financial and supply chain management services.
- To render administrative auxiliary services.
- To facilitate and manage skills development.
- To provide an internal and external communication strategy.
- To introduce special programmes (moral regeneration, gender, youth, disability, HIV/AIDS) in the Department.
- To render labour relations and advice services.
- To provide IT support services to the Department and affiliated institutions.
- To manage a transport system, all of these being the support base of the different line functions.
Programme 2: Cultural Affairs
To render and manage arts, cultural and heritage services
- To promote and co-ordinate performing arts services to ensure people development and job creation.
- To promote and co-ordinate visual and creative arts services to ensure skills development, job creation and contribute towards poverty alleviation.
- To administer declared cultural institutions to ensure people development, skills development and job creation.
- To render museum and heritage services to ensure people development and social cohesion.
- To implement the national mandate to establish the Provincial Geographical Names Committee and the Provincial Heritage Resources Authority.
- To render language development services to ensure that the constitutional rights of the people are met by the utilization of the main languages of the province.
Programme 3: Library and Archive Services
To render and manage library, information and archive services
- To provide technical support to 163 affiliated libraries.
- To provide library and information services to communities in terms of the Free State Provincial Library and Information Services Act, 1999 (Act No 5 of 1999).
- To render a record management service.
- To manage archival material at repositories.
Programme 4: Sport and Recreation
To promote sport and recreation development
- To render community sport and recreation development services in terms of the approved White Paper on Sport and Recreation.
- To do research on the needs of communities in sport development.
- Marketing of sport development programmes.
- Rendering of sport and recreation development services in communities.
- To provide equipment for sport and recreation development.
- To stimulate and support capacity building programmes.