Project libraries online
Libraries Online: Free State Public Libraries Going Digital
This is a project to bring computer technology to the Free State Provincial Libraries. About 40 libraries will be reached by the project during each of the three project years.
- Depending on the size of the library and the community it serves, each library will receive up to 10 computers. The majority will receive 4 computers.
- These will be used to provide access to the public for internet and electronic research media such as encyclopedias.
- The library personnel will also have access to the computerised library system, Prolib.
- Prolib is an existing system used to manage all aspects of acquiring and lending out of books and other library materials.
- The project also includes training for the library personnel, who will then share their knowledge with the public.